Whenever your gas furnace is running, carbon monoxide is being formed. However, there is no reason to worry. It is a natural by-product of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is working properly, it is safely deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is contained inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely pushed through the flue vent to the open air around your home. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a consequence of a malfunctioning gas furnace.
Breathing in too much carbon monoxide stops the body from using oxygen and can harm the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can injure anyone exposed to the gas, it is especially risky for people with existing lung or heart diseases, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and sustain a healthy, comfortable and safe home.
1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s nearly impossible to notice carbon monoxide is accumulating in your home. You may not know until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Install carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by pros, you should have it looked at. The experts at Lanz Furnace and Fireplace can make sure your blower motor is installed correctly and that everything looks correct in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can build up if there are problems in those territories.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Regular maintenance is the best step you can take to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly checkup, your technicians will clean your system and examine it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a decent idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally checked as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A stoppage of airflow caused by a spoiled filter can cause carbon monoxide to bleed out from your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to frequently check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s instruction.
5. Always rely on professionals to service your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.
Carbon monoxide can be extremely hazardous, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few meaures. You’ll always have the pros at Lanz Furnace and Fireplace in Monroe around to help, too. Give us a call at 608-291-3606 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.