According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts must be cleaned at least once every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the age of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence this timeline. How can you tell if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signs that you should keep an eye on.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are totally opened, do any have weaker airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you pay attention to the airflow?
3. Is there an obstruction in your cold air return vent?
4. When you glimpse inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or fuzz from your pet’s hair?
5. Have insects or rodents fashioned a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers driving out dust?
If you replied “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to reach out to Lanz Furnace and Fireplace in Monroe about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are steps you can take to keep your ducts cleaner and extend the time between professional appointments.
Most importantly, schedule regular HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Lanz Furnace and Fireplace. A regular checkup of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system operating at peak performance. Examining your system regularly and replacing the air filter when required will also help keep your ducts open.
Additional ways you can help manage your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dirt in from spaces such as your attic.
• Check your air filters regularly and switch them out when required.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your rooms.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in unsatisfactory or damp condition.
Keeping your ducts clean will help you make sure the air in your Monroe home is clean. Don’t forget to use these preventative actions and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at Lanz Furnace and Fireplace at 608-291-3606 or make an appointment online.