Summer weather in Monroe can be rough. But you don’t have to choose between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility costs. We’ve put together some tips to help you out.
The best thing you can do to stay cool and ensure energy efficiency is by maintaining your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® says keeping your system working reliably and efficiently, and Lanz Furnace and Fireplace is here to make that simple. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll do the following tasks recommended by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to make sure there’s safe operation of your system and the possibility of a longer lifecycle for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as need be. Dirty coils require your system to operate harder to do its job.
- Check system controls to ensure correct and safe operation.
- Inspect refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to assure accurate system airflow.
Another key to remaining cool is regularly checking your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter may increase energy bills and damage your equipment, which may lead to untimely failure. Our Lanz Furnace and Fireplace pros will inspect these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to take a look at the manufacturer’s recommendations to make your own schedule to switch them out.
Here are a few other tips to keep your home cool and energy-efficient:
- Inspect thermostat settings to be sure your air conditioner keeps you cool when you are home and saves energy while you are not around.
- If it is cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let nature cool your place for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to retain the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Utilize fans. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a tad higher than you normally would without feeling any changes in your comfort level.
- Another kind of fan people routinely forget about when they’re trying to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Make sure to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to get rid of the heat and humidity from your house.
- Avoid leaving lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Obviously, your stovetop and oven add heat into your home, but even normal activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can up the heat in your home.
If you’d like additional ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give Lanz Furnace and Fireplace at call at 608-291-3606 or request an appointment with us online.