Whether you appreciate winter or favor the warmer months in Monroe, most of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a big impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Assess the weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that should be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your space warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter regularly to see if it must be switched out. We recommend at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can set temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have a sufficient amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a useful tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring qualified technicians to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is operating effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—even with your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. An expert at Lanz Furnace and Fireplace can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Lanz Furnace and Fireplace in Monroe a call to begin. Contact our team at 608-291-3606 or book an appointment with us online.