Living in comfort in the summer can be taken for granted, mainly until you feel a taste of discomfort with an air conditioner breakdown. It can happen at the worst moments; you’re eating lunch and suddenly realize how warm your kitchen feels or you can’t fall asleep at night because you are so warm bound in your covers. Think you’re feeling this uncomfortable feeling? It might be the moment for an air conditioner replacement.
More often than not, it isn’t the thermostat’s mistake; the settings can be operating properly, but it still reads that the temperature is beyond 80 degrees. It’s often times caused by an ancient or faulty air conditioner that demands a call to the pros to find out what’s wrong. There are many causes for why air conditioners stop working, especially considering the weather in Monroe. Here are a couple of things that you can look for before you call Lanz Furnace and Fireplace if you think your air conditioner has quit working:
- Broken outdoor fan motor: There is a fan motor on your outdoor air conditioning system that helps flow the heat from your home to the outdoors. If you scrutinize your system and find that the fan isn’t functioning properly, it means that the heat movement isn’t transpiring, causing the warm air to remain in your home. This failure can also initiate overheating of the compressor and other likely internal destruction to your system.
- Dirty filters: It’s one of the most likely problems that Lanz Furnace and Fireplace sees. These filthy filters in your air conditioner lower suitable airflow, affecting the air quality in your home, which is really difficult when allergy season hits. Dirty air filters can also lower the efficiency in your home and raise your monthly energy costs.
- Blocked air flow: Always look for an obstacle or blockage in your return-air or supply-air grille. This can initiate your air conditioner to waste efficiency and decelerate.
TIP: Make sure the grilles aren’t covered by furniture or other home items, too.
- Outside obstructions: Correct air flow could be also slowed down from outside blockages close to your system, such as shrubbery, trees, lawn chairs, etc. When the air flow is altered, it can influence it’s cooling capacities. Make sure that your system is unrestricted by obstacles and is cleaned regularly to lower the possibility of air conditioner replacement.
Once you’ve gone through these four system checks and your air conditioner still isn’t operating, here are a list of questions and tests that you should check and answer to get your system up and functioning again. (Only go to the next question if the system doesn’t start after doing the step before it):
- Is your thermostat temperature fixed below the indoor temperature?
- Is your system switch in the COOL setting?
- Is the outdoor unit power supply switch ON?
- Is the furnace/air handler power supply ON?
- Is your house fuse box/breaker box ok or has it blown a fuse or tripped a circuit breaker?
- If none of these things fix your system function, call Lanz Furnace and Fireplace at 608-291-3606.
Don’t let an air conditioner failure or replacement keep you awake at night. If you follow these procedures and keep your system under regular maintenance, you should have you air conditioner operating again in no time. Our team at Lanz Furnace and Fireplace in Monroe is always here to help – give us a call at 608-291-3606.