Spring is in the air here in Monroe and that means vacation plans are in your near future. While you’re planning what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what is left behind, your home. The Lanz Furnace and Fireplace team has some helpful advice that will help keep your home safe and help save some money on your utility bills while you enjoy a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an inexpensive way to make your home appear as though you’re still home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a smart idea to program your lights to sync up with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a reliable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater relief than a text while you’re out of town letting you know that everything at home is just fine.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to ask you not to share photos of your awesome sabbatical on social media, but try to put it off until after you return to post photos of your trip. Family and friends most likely already know you’re leaving so no sense letting potential criminals know your intentions. Everyone will be just as delighted by the fantastic things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it easier than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical device is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An effortless way to save some energy while you’re out of town is to unplug a couple of your electronics. Something that you may not have thought of unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re out of town there’s no need to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your ideal level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some painless tips to add to your spring break prep agenda, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to review additional energy saving tips, give Lanz Furnace and Fireplace in Monroe a call at 608-291-3606.